Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Garden Veggie Crackers

Are you ready for some amazing crackers?  And easy ones too.  These "raw" crackers are made from the vegetable pulp from making fresh vegetable juice --  now that's recycling at it's best!  Give them a try, they are amazingly delicious. This recipe comes from the book:  Raw Inspirations and was developed by Raw Chef Dan from Manhattan, but I made a few changes as noted.  I tried these crackers with hummus -- wow!

2 cups mixed pulp (from green juices) (I often use carrot, romaine, ginger, cilantro, spinach, and celery.)
1/2 flax seeds, ground in a coffee mill or grinder, and add 1/3 cup water 
1/2 cup flax seeds, whole (I used 1/4 cup whole flax; I also added about 1/4 raw sunflower seeds)
1 tsp sea salt (I used Kosher salt to taste)
1 tsp agave (optional) (I used a drizzle of raw honey instead)
Note:  I sprinkled crackers when done with "Spike" seasoning.  Next time, I might add it into the mixture before dehydrating because it was so good.

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together thoroughly.  Spread the mixture on a Teflex dehydrator sheet so it's 1/4 inch thick.  Place in dehydrator for 4 hours at 95 degrees.  Then flip over the mixture and dehydrate for another 4 hours.  Be sure to remove the Teflex sheet at the turn.  After 8 hours, it should by dry but still flexible.  Cut into desired shapes. 

That's the recipe as written.  Here's what I did since I don't have that kind of dehydrator.  I spread the mixture 1/4 inch thick onto a sheet of parchment paper (available at any market) cut in the shape of my cookie sheet.  I placed it in my gas oven at about 95 degrees for 3-4 hours, then turned turned the parchment paper over and peeled it off the now much drier cracker mixture.  Back onto the cookie sheet for another 3 hours or less.  It didn't take 8 hours, only about 5-6 using the oven.  The crackers cut into squares beautifully!  And also kept for several days, still crisp, in a ziplock container.

No comments:

Post a Comment